“Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can’t see.” -The Conductor in The Polar Express (2004)
The Christmas season brings about all kinds of “feels”! Feelings of hope for the future, gratitude for our blessings, anticipation of giving/receiving gifts, joy in hearing our favorite holiday songs, comfort while watching Christmas movies, and even nostalgia when we associate certain smells with Christmas! For the women of The Salty Sunshine, the most overwhelming feeling is LOVE. We love Jesus Christ and we believe, wholeheartedly, we are LOVED by Jesus Christ!
While celebrating the birth of Jesus with our loved ones and friends, we have created traditions throughout this time of year we love! We have gathered some information from all of us (the Salty Sunshine gals) to share with you! We would truly enjoy hearing what kind of traditions our readers consider part of their holiday and Christmas routines! We are hopeful these silly answers spark an interest to try something new, bring sweet memories to mind and feel friendship amongst us!
Each woman of The Salty Sunshine answered a Christmas questionnaire. The next few postings will reveal those answers. We will be sharing our favorite traditions, treasured scriptures, how we decorate, favorite holiday foods and so forth. Today, we are sharing light content regarding our preferences for movies, songs, tastes, and smells of Christmas!
Movies: According to Popsugar.com (12/3/2017), the most widely searched Christmas movie is “A Christmas Story”. This doesn’t mean “A Christmas Story” outperformed “Home Alone” at the box office (it didn’t) but the general population has a soft spot for Ralphie! According to Esquire.com (11/21/2017), “It’s A Wonderful Life” is the number one Christmas movie with “A Christmas Story” coming in third. The women of The Salty Shine rated the following movies as our favorites (no specific order):
- “The Santa Claus”
- “Little Women”
- “The Family Stone”
- “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (feat. Jim Carrey)
- “It’s A Wonderful Life”
- “The Christmas Story”
Music: While discussing our favorite Christmas songs, we did a little digging on Billboard.com. According to an article on billboard.com from 12/19/2017, the top Christmas song was Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You.” While Mariah didn’t make our list, the following artists/songs did:
- NSYNC “Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays”
- Pentatonix “Mary, Did You Know?”
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24”
- “My Favorite Things” Artist unspecified
- Alabama “Joseph and Mary’s Boy”
- Carrie Underwood “Oh, Holy Night”
- Aaron Pelsue Band
- “Christmas Shoes” Artist unspecified
- Amy Grant “Breath of Heaven”
- Chris Tomlin, Lauren Daigle, Leslie Jordan “Christmas Alleluia”
- Sarah McLachlan “I’ll Be Home for Christmas”
- Bing Crosby: The Voice of Christmas Album
Fun facts about your Salty Sunshine Writers:
- While 60% of us prefer hot chocolate to eggnog, two of us like both, one of us only likes eggnog and Lindsay requested coffee!
- Peppermint vs. gingerbread? Most of us like peppermint over gingerbread. Lauren likes to eat gingerbread and drink peppermint drinks, Natale doesn’t really care for either!
- Books at Christmas we like to read include: “Twas the Night Before Christmas” by Clement Clarke Moore, “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens, “The Christmas Box” by Richard Paul Evans, and “The Smallest Gift of Christmas” by Peter H. Reynolds. And, of course, the Bible!
- We have bloggers who love candy canes, some who don’t, while others shared a simple “Meh” reaction (Natalie and Lindsay). Sara stated, “Candy canes are a necessity from December to February!”. Summer and Melanie like peppermint flavor but prefer the small version of the candy cane the best. Kim says she likes candy canes depending on the flavor!
- We are 50/50 on tried and not tried fruitcake. We are a FIRM 100% agreeable it’s “yucky”, haha!
- Mig shared she has made her entire family “Ugly” Sweaters one year! Very fun and crafty!
- Out of the movies favored above, “Elf” is loved the most by Melanie, Kim, and Sara! The second-most popular movie among our group was “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”, with Callie’s and Lauren’s votes!
- Our favorite scents are cookies baking in the oven and pine/evergreen trees. Melanie has a favorite scent for the holidays, “Spiced Apple Toddy”, by Bath and Body Works. Melanie likes this scent in all forms: room spray, wallflower plug-ins and candles!
Thank you so much for reading about many of our favorite Christmas things! We would love to hear all about your favorite things! The Salty Sunshine loves our readers! We are praying over you this Christmas season! If we can offer more specific prayers on your behalf, visit our prayer wall and let us know! (www.thesaltysunshine.com/request-prayer)